Descendants of JOHN D. CLEMONS
1. JOHN D.5 CLEMONS (TELEMACHUS4, SAMUEL PETTIBONE3, JOEL2, JOHN1) was born 1828, and died 1895. He married LYNDA E. ARNOLD, daughter of WILLIAM ARNOLD and LAURA MERRITT. She was born 1828, and died 1903 in Erwin Cemetery, Sparta Twp, Livingston Co. NY.
Notes for JOHN D. CLEMONS:
J. D. Clemons, an old resident of Springwater, died at his home about three miles east of the valley, on Tuesday last. His death was the result of an injury received while engaged in drawing timber from the woods about one week ago. It was not at first thought to be serious, but owing to the late severe storm and blockade of the roads by snow, physicians were unable to be in attendance, and when Dr. Becker visited him on Monday, he found the injury of such a character that a surgical operation was deemed necessary. Accordingly Dr. Richmond of Livonia was called and an operation performed, but too late to save his life.
2. FRANCES6 CLEMONS (JOHN D.5, TELEMACHUS4, SAMUEL PETTIBONE3, JOEL2, JOHN1) was born 05 Apr 1853 in Springwater NY, and died 03 Feb 1941 in Hemlock NY - burried Union Cem Livonia NY. She married GEORGE ALONZO WEMETT 07 Feb 1872, son of JOSEPH OUIMET and ELIZABETH WELCH. He was born 19 Mar 1844 in at the family farm-Bald Hill Canadice NY buried Union Cem., and died 13 Aug 1929 in Hemlock NY - burried Union Cem Livonia NY (Source: Livingston Co., NY Surrogat's Court Estate Papers.).
Notes for FRANCES CLEMONS:
Mrs. Francis Wemett, 85 veteran music teacher,
who teaching finger exercises to grandchildren and great grandchildren of
her former pupils has now thought of retirement.
She married at 19 and except for short periods
has taught music ever since.
Mrs. Wemett has one son living, Clarence Wemett of Hemlock, a foster daughter Mrs. Everett Heyward, of West Bloomfield, 10 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren.
Hemlock-A 70-year period of music teaching is
the record of Mrs. Frances Wemett, veteran music teacher of the Hemlock area,
who will observe her 86th birthday.
Notes for GEORGE ALONZO WEMETT:
Enlisted in Company I,188th New York Infantry Grand Armey Republic 1864. Attained rank of Sargeant, Participated in 9 engagements. Enlisted 9/29/1864 and discharged near Washington DC on 7/1/1865. At that time he was described on his discharge papers as 20 years of age, 5 feet 9 inches tall , fair complexion, blue eyes and light hair, occupation- farmer.
2003 - I have a copy of the Act of May 11, 1912, United States of America Bureau of Pensions, #796631 that reads: It is hereby certified That in Conformity with the laws of the United States George A. Wemett who was a Sergeant Co I 188 Regiment New York Infantry is entitled to a pension at the rate of $15.50 per month, to commence June 4, 1912, 19.00 per mo. from March 19, 1914 and $22.50 per month from March 19, 1919. Given at the Department of the Interior this 13 day of April 1913 and of the Independence of the USA the one hundred and 37th.
Act of May 1, 1920 Increases his pension to the rate of $72/mo, to commence Sept 1, 1928
THIS IS FROM A NEWSPAPER CLIPPING FOR THEIR 50TH ANNIVERSARY (1922)
Mr. and Mrs George A. Wemett parents of four sons, two of which died in infancy. Of the two that remain, Correll Wemett is proprietor of the Hilltop Dairy and owner of a large farm in Lima, while Clarence E Wemett is president of C. E. Wemett & Company, Inc., which has offices in Hemlock, Naples and Prattsburg.
During her entire life Mrs. Wemett has been interessted in music and has been prominently connected with every musical enterprise within the community. She greduated from the Sherwood Musical Academy, in Lyons NY 1869. Until recent years she has taught piano and has been the organist in the local Methodist Church, of which she has been an active member.
Mr. Wemett has the distinction of being the oldest
man in the community, besides being one of the four surving Civil War veterans
in the town of Livonia. He can distinctly recall many of his war experiences
that took place after his enlistment in 1864. He took part in nine engagements
the most important of which was the battle of Five Forks where 600 Rebel prisoners
were taken. Most of his fighting was done under th command of Gereral Gregory,
Major Davidson, and Captain John Marks. The latter two coming from Rochester.
George A. Wemett's Funeral Today
George A Wemett passed away after a brief illness at his home in Hemlock, Tuesday evening, August 13, 1929. Mr. Wemett was the son of Joseph and Elizabeth Welch Wemett and was born March 19, 1844, on the home farm, Bald HIll, Canadice, the present home of his nephew, robert Wemett. He was one of fifteen children. He married Miss Francis Clemons of Springwater in 1872 and they resided on the home farm for four years, after which they moved to Hemlock and have resided in their present home ever since. Mr. and Mrs. Wemett had four sons, two of which died in infancy. Several years ago they took into their hearts and home a little girl, who is now Mrs. Everett hayward. Mr. Wemett is survived by his wife, Mrs. Frances Wemett; two sons Correll of Lima and Clarence E. of hemlock; also the daughter, Mrs Aulsa Hayward, and 11 grandchildren. Before his marrieage Mr. Wemett served in the Civil War fighting mostly under the command of Major Davison and Capt. Marks of Rochester.
DEATH CLAIMS OLDEST RESIDENT OF HEMLOCK - is the title of a newspaper clipping
Hemlock, Aug. 14 - George A. Wemett, oldest resident of this community, died at his home here late Tuesday.
He was born in the Town of Canadice, March 19, 1844, the son of Elizabeth Welch and Joseph Wemett and one of a family of 15 children. He married Frances Clemons, Springwater, on Feb 7, 1872. To them were born four sons, two of which remain, Cerrell Wemett, Lima, and Clarence E. Wemett, Hemlock. He is also survived by his widow and Mrs. Aulsa Hayward, an adopted daughter.
Mr. Wemett was one of the four surviving Civil War veterans in the town of Livonia. He enlisted in 1864 and took part in nine engagements, the most important of which was the battle of Five Forks.
And the artical continues about the funeral services.
3. AULSA7 WEMETT (FRANCES6 CLEMONS, JOHN D.5, TELEMACHUS4, SAMUEL PETTIBONE3, JOEL2, JOHN1) was born 1902, and died 1987. She married EVERTT HAYWOOD.
Notes for AULSA WEMETT:
Aulsa E. Hayward, 85 years of 22 Big Tree St.,
Livonia, died Tuesday, Sept. 8, 1987 at Thompson Hospital in Canandaigua.
She was born June 21, 1902 in New York City the daughter of George and Frances
Wemett. She was predeceased by her husband Evertt in 1962. Mrs. Hayward attended
the United Church of Livonia and for many years was the organist at the Hemlock
Baptist Church. She was a charter member of both the Livonia and Honeoye Senior
Citizen Clubs. She was also a 50 year member of the Hemlock Rebekah Lodge.
Notes for CORRELL E. WEMETT:
Notes for CLIFFORD C. WEMETT:
ii. KENNETH CARL WEMETT, b. 16 Feb 1907, Rochester Junction NY; d. 15 Jul 1992, Dunkirk NY; m. CORNELIA I. FRANK, 02 Jan 1934; b. 1907; d. 06 Jan 2004, Dunkirk NY.
Notes for KENNETH CARL WEMETT:
OBITUARY OF KENNETH WEMETT TAKEN FROM THE EVENING OBSERVER, DUNKIRK-FREDONIA, NY
Kenneth E. Wemett, 85, of 75 E. Fifth St. in Dunkirk, died Wednesday (July 15, 1992) at Brooks Hospital.
Born Feb. 16, 1907, in Rochester Junction, he was the son of the late Correl and Cora Burmeister Wemett.
A resident of Dunkirk since 1935, he was the owner and retired president of the former Loeb & Wemett, Inc. for 37 years before its closing in 1982.
In addition to being a member and deacon of the First United Presbyterian Church in Dunkirk for 50 years, he had been a member of the Dunkirk Loyal Order of Moose Lodge 89, the Dunkirk-Fredonia Lions Club where he was recipient of the 1984 Lion of the Year Award, a member of the board of directors for the Dunkirk Chapter of the Adequate Wiring Bureau of Western New York, the First Ward Falcon Club, and a charter member of the Electrical Advisory Bureau of Western New York.
Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Cornelia I. Funk Wemett, whom he married Jan. 20, 1934; Three brothers, Elmer of Avon, Vernon of Lima, and Roy Wemett of Canadaigua; and several nieces and nephews.
iii. ELMER TAFT WEMETT, b. 25 Jul 1908; d. 26 Sep 1993, Avon-Lima NY buried Oak Ridge Cem.; m. (1) DOROTHEA GREEN, 05 May 1932; b. 30 May 1912; d. 22 Jul 1974, Lima NY Oakridge Cemetery Lima; m. (2) FERONIA HARVEY, 11 Sep 1976, Hemlock NY; d. 15 Dec 1988.
Notes for ELMER TAFT WEMETT:
This information is taken from an artical written by Bob Bickel titled LIMA MAN'S LIFE IS A RIVER OF MEMORIES. It's about Elmer Wemett 's book titled DAD, MOTHER AND THE FAMILY.
The book begins, "On July 25, 1908, a baby was born and I was that baby. I am Elmer Taft Wemett..."
It ends, "It is nearly noon on Nov. 23, 1988, and (his wife) Feronia is getting a nice dinner of meat loaf and all the trimmings that go with it and we will be having our dinner here today." Less than a month later, Feronia, Wemett's second wife, died as noted in a half-page epilogue, "at 5 p.m. Tuesday the 15th day of December."
Between the birth and the death are 285 pages of life, a flowing river of recollection.
Wemett's brother dies young in an auto accident. His father brings the body on a train back to the family farm here.
"The local undertasker, Mr. Brooks, and Mother's brother Joseph looked into the casket and Clifford was recognizable, but burned, and wrapped in a bed sheet, " Wemett says.
There is Dorothea, his first wife, dying of cancer, asking him to close the closet door. "Tears came to my eyes," writes Wemett. "We both knew she would never be dressed again."
There is the sign on Correll "Jockey" Wemett's dairy wagon, originally "C. Wemett-&-Sons," changed by adding "milk" and "cream" on either side of the ampersand. Wemett and his brothers, Vernon and Kenneth, the three born within a 32-month period, thereupon became the "milk and cream sons" at school.
Avon-Lima: Suddenly Sept. 26, 1993. Age 85. Retired Farmer. Predeceased by wife, Dorothea G. Wemett. Also predeceased by brother, Clifford and Kenneth Wemett. Survived by daughter, Marilyn (Roger) Smith; son, George Wemett; also survived by 2 brother, Vervon and Roy Wemett; grandson Guye and wife (Cathy) Smith; 3 grandaughters, Gail (Frank) Valente, Shelly (Thomas). Chapple and Jennifer Wemett; 5 great-grandchildren, Joseph L. T. Smith, Oliver and Eva Valente, Adam and Hannah Chapple, Also predeceased by step-daughter Marion (Robert) Whitehead; Step-grandson, Craig (Faith) Whitehead; 1 step-great-grandson, Robert Whitehead.
Interment, Oak Ridge Cemetery, Lima.
It was 11 o'clock at night 60 years ago, Dec. 14, 1927, that my parents received a phone call from the police of South Norwalk, Conn. that their 24-year-old son, Clifford, had been killed that evening in an automobile accident.
My folks lived in Lima at that time and another older brother drove my father to Rochester to take the train to get my brother's body. The funeral was held on Dec. 18, a week before Christmas. My parents grieved as parents would and we brothers were shocked too.
Clifford had a $5,000 double-indemnity insurance policy made out to my mother. After buying a lot in the Honeoye Falls cemetery and paying for the funeral, my folks placed the rest of the money in a bank. My folks said it was blood money and did not use it until 1932 when they donated it to a good cause.
A few months after my brother's funeral, my parents received a letter from the attorney who was representing the driver of the car that killed my brother. He asked if my parents could see in their hearts to write him a letter telling him they held no hate or bitterness toward the young driver of the death car.
My folks paid an attorney the $5 for the letter telling the judge any leniency he could show the young man would be appreciated. There was no bitterness toward the driver. It was an accident.
How different from today when a person is killed. It seems the proper thing to do is start a lawsuit getting all the blood money they can.
iv. VERNON A. WEMETT, b. 23 Oct 1909, Honeoye Falls NY; d. 16 Jan 1995, Honeoye Falls, NY buried in Honeoye Falls Cemetery; m. (1) VIVIAN WRIGHT, 1928; b. 1912; m. (2) ELIZABETH BRISBANE, 1934; d. 1935; m. (3) JEAN L. LEEDER, 23 Jul 1936; b. 1917; d. 01 May 1994.
Notes for VERNON A. WEMETT:
Notes for ROY ARNOLD WEMETT:
Notes for CLARENCE ELMER WEMETT:
Always enterprising, Mr Wemett as a young man saw a future in the handling of Petroleum products and made connections with the Shell Oil Co. He was a Franchiser jobber in this company for about 32 years, and the Wemett Corp. are now the largest in the Cleveland district, distributing in ?xx? counties with about 25 service stations. The first of the stations was in Livonia. Never one to be content following only a given routine, in 1929 he established a pottery shop in East Bloomfield, where he already had a Shell outlet. At one time he also operated the Avon Coppersmith.
He Founded the Forge Wrought Iron Works in Hemlock.
He built the Egypt Valley Girl Camp in the Bristol Hills in 1949, later sold to the Seven Lakes Girl Scout Council, Phelps, NY. (The Girl Scouts have since sold the property - 1990?)
In 1953 he bought and remodelled the White Horse Tavern, in East Avon, which burned shortly after the opening.
He was a member of the Hemlock Methodist Church and had been a trustee for 35 years. He belonged to the Hemlock Civic Club and the Hemlock 100F. He was a member of the Board of Education of the Hemlock Union Free School and a director and past president of Union Cemetery. He also participated in obtaining a water system for Hemlock in 1950.
1790. In 1790 in a small town near Montreal, Canada, in a tiny log cabin is born a youth named Andrew in whose veins mingled French and Canadian bloods. At the tender age of 14 the grim angel of death takes the father. The family stay and we can imagine the youth laboring early and late to keep the grey wolf from the door. Adversity seldom comes singly and in the fall of 1810 the mother the nearest and dearest is borne swiftly away, and to complete the cup of adversity the younger brother of Andrew, (should this be Joseph?) in a mischievious moment built a fire in the barn, which burns to the ground.
Andrew Wemett (1/4/1788) -- Andrew then a young man of 24 sells what remains of the homestead and with a team and wagon starts to make his way in the cold world. He wanders and finally locates in Monroe County and works there for a year for the government and assists in building the first flour mill in that section, on the ground now occupied by the Erie Depot. The team purchased in Canada was considered to be one of the finest in that section, and he refused for them a deed of 160 acres of land, which is now in the heart of Rochester, NY.
In the French-Indian War of 1812, he enlisted
and went to the front serving full time and when the war was over he came
back but could not refrain from the charmes of Joan Macomber. Joan we might
mention was the sister of Cyrus Macomber. He married Joan in what was known
as the Black River country which is in Lewis County New York. During their
sojourn there, the stork left them three children. Charles, Floville and Adeline.
Joan Macomber died in 1843 and Andrew later married Hannah West who made the best kind of a step mother. But in the early morning of March 4, 1861 the day President Lincoln took the Presidential oath, all that was mortal of Andrew Wemett took flight, Hannah West Wemett lived until 1874 when she started on the long voyage.
Children of Andrew and Joan Wemett:
Charles Married Mahalie Perry and Mary Lindsey
JOSEPH WEMETT FAMILY HISTORY
Joseph Wemett (3/3/1799) --Youngest brother of Andrew was born near Montreal Canada in 1800 and when 14 years of age he came to Lowville Lewis County, NY and from there migrated to Canadice, Ontario County, NY, in 1824 he was united in marrige to Elizabeth Welch. The Welch family then owned what is now known as Augustus Shepard farm. When Conrad Welch who was Uncle Joes's wife's father died Uncle Joe bought off the heirs and in 1841 built the old homestead which now stands in a good state of preservation. At the time this house was built it was the finest house between Lima and Dansville. This house is now occupied by Robert R. Wemett. Across from this house is the old Wemett burial grounds where now rests a goodly number of the old Wemett family together with nieces and nephews who Uncle Joe brought up. The writer can remember the remains of the old stone school house where the children and nieces and nephews of Uncle Joe and Aunt Bessie were taught the three R's to the expense of the generious old couple. Uncle Joe also endowed the Genesee College at Lima and was one of the first to give $100.00. Old people who knew Uncle Joe and Aunt Bessie have often told us that this was the most hospitable home, but as Uncle Joe was unusually thrifty there was always plenty to eat but in return he expected and exacted work.
Uncle Joe and Aunt Betsy (Bessie) were the parents of 14 children, 8 of whom grew to maturity. It is told that Uncle Joe started out to give each of his grandchildren $100 dollars at birth, his intentions were good but they came so thick and fast that he was unable to keep it up, much to the dissapointment of those coming later. Uncle Joe and his brother Andrew were born Catholics, but later they became loyal to the Quaker faith. The Welches were all Quakers.
Uncle Joe was a unique character, a man of powerful built and a tireless worker and although he made a home for almost everyone, he amassed what is those days what was considered a goodly small fortune. He owned at his death some 600 acres of land with a large amount of personal property. The writer has search records concerning these properties and never found any kind of a mortgage against any property owned by Joseph and Betsy (Elizabeth) Wemett. Their living grandchildren number 20, their living great grandchildren being over 40 now. Uncle Joe passed on just as the dawn was breaking in the year 1870 and Aunt Betsy followed in August 1874. Thus ended the heads of the first familys on Ontario County form Robert Wemett.
The children of Joseph and Betsy Wemett in the order of their birth:
(Charles) Charley P. Wemett, son of Andrew and
Joan Wemett was born March 5, 1818 and at the age of 25 married Mahalie Perry,
this was in 1843. To this union was born Melford who died at 25 years of age.
Mahalia, a daughter married Guy Baldwin, they had 3 children, Nora,Lemuel, and Amos.
Nora married Leon Molyea and had 3 sons;
Augustus Shepard married Floville Wemett in 1847,
second child of Andrew and Joan Wemett. To this union was born three children,
Sarah, Thankful and Charles. Sarah married Frank Morris and went West to live.
She died on January 9, 1893 leaving a family of seven children. Everett only
named of the seven.
September 13, 1860 Augustus Shepard married again.
This time to a cousin of his first wife. Minerva daughter of Uncle Joseph
and Aunt Betsy, to them was born Herbert (Bert) Shepard, who married lived
and died in Nebraska. He left a family Mable, Arthur, Stanley Randal, Clarence.
William Shepard youngest son of Augustus and Minerva married Dorothy Albertson and for many years has lived and kept store in South Livonia. They had one daughter Fern Shepard.
Augustus Shepard passed on.
Adeline Wemett second daughter of Andrew and Joan Wemett married William Foley in 1846 and to them was born three children, Mary, William H. and Catherine.
Mary who married Caleb Briggs had one son George, who married Jennie Briggs and who passed on, and one daughter May Briggs who married Daniel Owens.
SHEPARD FAMILY HISTORY
After the death of Calco Briggs, Mary married
Frank Hayward, a widower, with children; the other daughter of William and
Adeline was named Catherine, but she died in early womanhood. One son, William
Erastus Wemett, third son of Andrew and Joan Wemett was born in Canadice on February 8, 1832 and was united in marriage to Catherine Coogan on October 28, 1852 as the name implies, Catherine was Irish and Catholic. She renounced her faith when she married which did not suit her family and her friends and when she died in 1873 her funeral was held at her home in Bald Hill, this was attended by a large number of her relatives and friends from Lima and Livonia who insisted that she be buried in consecrated ground for a time it looked as though there would be trouble but cooled heads prevailed and she was laid to rest in the little country cemetery on the old Charles Coykendall farm. We are told this was one of the largest funerals ever held in Ontario County. There were no living issues of this family.
On October 22, 1874 Erastus married Elizabeth Wemett daughter of Uncle Joe and Aunt Betsy.
To this union was born one son Erwin Wemett, and one daughter who died in early infancy.
The angel of death took the second wife, Elizabeth November 7, 1902 and on September 15, 1909 while sitting in a rocking chair the candle of life was suddenly snuffed out, and Erastus T. Wemett, another of the older generation, passed on.
Augustus and Floville shepard children;
Sarah, married Frank Morris
Augustus and Minerva Shepard children;
Adeline married William Foley
Erastus married Catherine Coogan
Mitchel Wemett brother of Andrew and Joseph
We know little of Uncle Mitchell only that he was father of Uncle Syrille who with many generations have been gathered by the grim reaper.
Syrille Wemett: was born March 8, 1816 and married Sarah Clark April 19, 1842.
To them was born one son and two daughters.
Theodore was born in 1851. He married Ellen sherwood,
and to this union was born one son, Floyd Wemett and one daughter Lola. Floyd
married Nina Jacobs and have no issue.
Emmeretta born April 6,1849, she married her
second cousin Orsemus Wemett, they had 4 daughters and one son. Alice married
Amos Swan. Died November 5, 1916.
Another son of Syrill and Sarah was born in 1848
and died when only 3 years old.
There were also two girls Sophie and Mary. Mary married Francis Grenville, to them were born 6 children, Dennis, Clarissia, Saphrone, Frank Joe and Henry Grenville.
Mary and Henry Grenville had one daughter, Martha
Grenville who lived and died in Lima NY.
We now turn to the children of Joseph and Elizabeth Wemett. William Wemett oldest son of Betsy and Joseph was born 1820 and at the age of 29 married Huldah Goodwin, to this union was born one daughter, Emma, who married John H. Adams and raised a family of two girls and two boys.
Fannie married G. Abbott, Gladys married Wynn
Hanna and to them was born one son Wynn Jr.
Scott died. Melissa died.
George Brown another son of John and Mary Brown
first married Mary Ingrahm, to them was born a son Lisle, after the death
of Mary, George married Carrie Garfield.
William Brown, son of John Brown and Mary Wemett Brown was born in 1853. He married Stella Roberts. One son, Victor Brown survives. William Brown died in January 1890. His brother, Edward Brown, was born in 1859. In 1883, he married Alta Potter. There were no children of this union. Edward Brown died ________.
Mary Wemett Brown crossed the great divide August 16, 1905.
Elizabeth (see Erastus)
Julia Ann first daughter of Joseph and Betsy Wemett was born in 1820 and at the age of 20 married a Welch Irishman by the name of Isaac Stephenson, to this union was born 5 children, Sibley Stephenson was married to Etta Dunn, Ella died at the age fo 18. Josie married Selwyn Marsh, Joseph who died and is buried in the family cemetery on Bald Hill. Nickson the youngest married Addie Wilbur, Nick skipped out and has never heard from all have passed away except Josie who is living in Starkey, NY.
William Wemett died in 1899. His widow Huldah Goodwin Wemett, married Alden Pemberton. huldah Pemberton died_____.
Mary Wemett, second daughter of Joseph and Betsy Wemett, at the age of 21, married a man who we have all heard so much about that like so many of our worthy ancestors, John Brown's body lies a mouldering in the grave.
To the union of John and Mry were born 4 sons and 1 daughter: Scott, Edward, George, Will, and Nellie.
Scott Brown married Laura Smith, and a few years after her death, married Melissa Aldrich. By his first wife, Scott left 3 irls, Bessie, and 3 boys, Ernest, Louis, and Claude. Clarence was a son of his second marriage. Scott died_______. Melissa died______.
George Brown, another son of John and Mary Brown, first married Mary Ingrahm. To them was born one son Lisle. After the death of Mary, George married Carrie Garfield. Lisle Brown passed on.
William Brown, son of John Brown and Mary Wemett Brown was born in 1853. He married Stella Roberts. One son, Victor Brown survives. William Brown died in January 1890. His brother, Edward Brown, was born in 1859. In 1883, he married Alta Potter. There were no children of this union. Edward Brown died ____-.
John and Mary Brown only had 1 daughter, Nellie, who married Albert Bailey. To them was born 2 daughters, Edna and Georgia. mary Wemett Brown died August 16, 1905.
Henry Joseph Wemett second son of Joseph and Betsy Wemett was born February 1841, he attended Genesee College which his father had helped endow and upon graduation taught school for several years, being superintendent of schools for several years, while being of a jurial dispostion and always joking he was sought for near and far to complete the term of some unfortunate teacher who had been thrown out of a school house window, in 1868 he married Mary Knapp, near the close of the war he enlisted, upon return he was known as Captain Henry, this was a particularily fitting title since one of his occupations was the pilot of the Hemlock lake steamer named________.
To this union of Henry and Mary Wemett were born children, Frank, Cora, Harry, Dora Robert, William, of these Frank is a Methodist minister, Cora now Mrs. Edward Weeks of _____. William, a professor of Vally City State Normal, North Dakota, and Robert, last but far from least a fine carpenter by trade and resident of the old homestead.
A newspaper clipping about the wedding of C. E. Wemett and Miss Ada Helen Jennings
A PRETTY HOME WEDDING
C. E. Wemett has been a distributor for about twenty years. He was with the Pennzoil company for six or seven years, placing his first service station in Livonia, operated by L. E. Bartlett and located where R. W. Shepard's station now stands. That was nineteen years ago. Subsequently Mr. Wemett was distributor for the Eldred company for four or five years, and during the last seven he had developed the Shell business to such an extent that he had become the largest distributor of Shell products in the state. In commenting upon the growth of the business he expressed his appreciation for the increasing patronage which has been given his Shell stations and Shell products.
Under terms of the lease, the Wemett company continues to own the equipment and the accounts, and the business will be operated on a gallonage basis. Government reports show that during 1937 the Wemett company paid state and federal gasoline taxes averaging about $5000 a month.
HISTORY OF HEMLOCK, NY 1779-1989 Posted under ADA HELEN JENNINGS
Notes for ADA HELEN JENNINGS:
HISTORY OF HEMLOCK, NY
1779 - Sunday, May 12 the Sullivan-Clinton army crossed the flats at the foot of Hemlock Lake, destroying the crops as they proceeded up over the west hill toward Conesus Lake. This action opened up the area for the early settlers.
1796 - Phillip Short built a cabin about 1/4 mile in the valley north of Hemlock Lake. He was the forerunner of the Short family whose members were numerous in the area for many decades. (Arch Merrill' book "The lakes Country") states that Roswell Bliss came about 1795 and built a cabin and a saw mill).
1797 - At about this same time Mr. Higby, from Livonia, established a saw mill on the outlet. Logs were coming in large quantities down the lake from Springwater and logging was taking place on the lake shore.
1798 - Mr. Seth Simons, from Bristol, came and located a Grist Mill somewhere on the outlet.
1800 - A hermit, named Maloy, came and built a cabin on the west shore. He was a hunter and trapper. The story is told that he had a bad encounter with a black bear. Maloy must have survived because he lived to tell about the fight.
1801 - From this time on there was rapid change all the way from Hemlock Lake to Big Tree Rd. Many new settlers came. The saw mills were producing lumber, slab cabins were built and later on, frame buildings and businesses.
1803 - Isaac Bishop opened a store in the area near the foot of the lake which came to be known as Gullburg. The area around the Canadice outlet, where it crosses the main road, became knwon as Glennville. Sometime later, just east of the road a dam across the outlet was built to back up the water and provide water power for a Gristmill which was built.
1808 - The township of Livonia was formed; the Hemlock area being a part of it.
1829 - This was a banner year. A Post Office was established in Hemlock, called the Post Office of Hemlock Lake. Mail came in from Gullburg, Glennville and Holden (later called Jacksonville). The first postmaster was John Van Fossen - 1/17/1829 - 10/18/36. The P.O. became Hemlock, New York on December 12, 1895.
1832 - The Archer family, early settlers, were operating a saw mill on the outlet.
1838 - The Baptist of the area organized as the 1st Baptist Church of Hemlock Lake, N.Y. The building was erected in 1844 at a cost of $1,400.00. It was located near the south end of Hemlock Village and still stands.
1843 - A Methodist building was put up, which was destroyed by fire in 1948 and the present church was erected.
1845 - Jacksonville was probably in its heyday. According to an Historical Maker, which was erected at the site by the Hemlock outlet 1 1/4 miles north-east of Hemlock, there were 130 houses, a brick yard, 10 mills and two distilleries. Almost all of the village was gone by 1850. The marker was installed in 1939 by the efforts of E. Short, Frank Connor and others.
1850 - The Plank Road - A Company was organized in Rochester, N.Y. Much lumber was available at the time, so they decided to try planks. It is reported that 25 miles were completed and a Toll-Gate erected at the south end (where the Country Store is located now, corner of Big Tree and Rt. 15A). The road worked very well for a few years until the lumber began to warp and twist. It finally got so bad it was abandoned.
1850 - The Metropolitan Hotel on South Main Street opened its doors for business after being under construction for about two years. There were three floors. The top floor was used for a ball-room and with a stage, it provided a great place for entertainment. An addition was built on a few years later on the south end.
1851 - It was reported that Russell Jacque built a large farm house near the lake on the north end. The house was later (in 1873) made in to the three story famous "Jacque-House", one of the five hotels that existed on the lake during the steamboat days when excusions were offered on the lake.
1853 - Due to the Old Bald Hill Road getting so much traffic, there aroase a need for the East Lake Road. Mr. John Hill caused the road to be built at a cost of $5,000.00. Soon after its completion, a Tollgate was set up at the Hemlock end. The story is told that one day while he was downtown, he became involved in an argument over the toll prices and fell dead with a heart attack. He never collected much toll. The road served the public for many years. Just the north end of the road is traveled now.
1860 - Mr. George Watson built one of the first steamboats to ply the waters of the lake. This became one of the five boats that carried passengers on the lake from the dock at the foot of the lake to the hotels.
1860 - The Baptist church, which had been established on the Curtis Corners about half way between Hemlock and Honeoye, disbanded and joined with the Hemlock church. The Rev. Ira Justin was pastor at that time.
1866 - Frank Connor's history tells us that one day in '66 a large crowd assembled in front of the Metropolitan Hotel to discuss a Fair. That was the beginning of what later became known as "The Slab City Fair" "The Little World's Fair" and the just plain Hemlock Fair. In 1877 a two-day Fair was held and the Ladies Hall was erected. From then on it grew into what largely became contests of horse racing until the early 1900's.
1876 - The gates were opened at Hemlock Lake and Hemlock Lake water rushed down the pipe line toward the city. This was the beginning of a gravity flow water system which has supplied the city of Rochester with millions and millions of gallons up to this very day. The system always needed inprovements and later on Canadice Lake water was tunneled into the lake. On file are several accounts of the growth of this famous water system.
1879 - The three story St. James Hotel was opened on the east side of the lake. In the following years it was to accommodate many passengers from the steamships that were plying the lake.
1882 - The Beam family built their first mill on the Canadice outlet. The dam and mill were just east of the main road. Powered by water power, the mill served the public for many years. Later the Beam family went on to build a mill on the Hemlock outlet in the village of Hemlock, just west of the main road. The family also operated a small store near the Canadice outlet.
1888 - At this time, there were 112 buildings along the shores of Hemlock lake, 96 cottages, 5 hotels, 5 permanent residents and 6 cabins.
1890 - A while back in our notes, we mentioned the "hermit" Maloy who came early to the foot of the lake. Around 1890, there came another man named Prinny Chesbro. He had been a sailor and it is said that he was the only man around who could safely splice a rope. He located a cabin somewhere near the half-way house. It is said that he lived to be 100 years old and came to be known as "The Hermit of Hemlock Lake."
1895 - The Lehigh Valley R.R. Co. railroad line was extended to Hemlock village and Hemlock Lake. Much could be written here about the Lehigh. With the coming of the railroad, Hemlock became alive. Quickly passenger service and the freight service grew until the middle of the 20th century many trains were in and out every week. Later on changing times caused the company to quit the runs to Hemlock and the rails were torn up in 1968. Eugene Spencer was one of the last station agents. The last passenger train pulled out of Hemlock in 1937. The "section gang" with their hand-car provided work for local men all those years.
1898 - It is known that about this time there was a band in Hemlock. It was known as "The Hemlock Cornet Band". We do know of 3 or 4 of the members; Will Hoppough, Parker Hoppough, Chas. Briggs and possibly Will Mallaber. No doubt they played band music at the "Slab City Fair".
1900 - Great days ahead for Hemlock, the village of Jacksonville had ceased to exist, Glennville and Gullburg had grown together and joined Hemlock, and activity at the lake was lively with new businesses.
1904 - The Rebekah Lodge was organized. The I.O.O.F Order of Odd-Fellows had been established earlier (1898). The I. O.O.F. later went on to build a three-story lodge building south of the outlet on the east side of Main Street. In later years, the building was torn down.
1906 - The Wemett Company incorporated. The hardware store, which had been owned and operated by Bacon & Wemett, changed hands due to the death of Mr. Bacon. C.E. Wemett started in the oil business selling Eldred Oil and later became distributor for the Shell Oil Co. 45 stations and about 4,500 customers were served as the oil business prospered.
1911 - The old Gullburg school district, which was located just up the Old Bald Hill Road and on the east side of the road, voted to join the Hemlock district. The building was later used as a home and is still standing.
1912 - At this time, Mr. V.P. Owen operated a Ford automobile agency from a building on the west side of South Main Street. It was the Ford agency and was selling Chevrolets.
1915 - A little after this date some local people were busy. A few of the older people remember that the Nelson Cary family made baskets in their home on Clay Street. The Bates family lived near the entrance to the fair grounds. Thomas and Harry had a blacksmith and woodworking shop. Also, they made fine quality cutlery. Some of their knives are in the museum at the Livonia Library.
1919 - This year the first hand-drawn chemical fire truck was purchased for the local firemen and a cider mill was established on Clay St. by Mr. Olin Mather. The building that housed the mill was torn down in Dixon Hollow and hauled to Hemlock. At the present time, it is an apartment house. It is believed that Olin Mather was the first man in the area to own and operate a self-propelled grain combine.
1920 - There were three grocery and dry goods stores operating on the South Main Street. They were Beckers, Knapps, and LaMonts. Later Beckers was torn down to make room for a house, Knapps is now an apartment house and Earl Collins bought the LaMont property. There were two blacksmith shops on South Main; B. Naracong and Lewis Schneck, owners. By 1920, the Livingston County Canning Co. was in full operation on Railroad Avenue north side of the Lehigh Valley depot. Many local people were employed canning sweet corn, peas, and string beans. Many cases of canned vegetables were shipped out on the Lehigh R.R. The plant was destroyed by fire the fall of 1931. The Osborne brothers were owners.
1925 - Niagara Power brought electricity to Hemlock. This brought an end to the use of water power which had been used to power the mills along the outlet. Soon the water was released from the old Hoppough mill pond west of Main Street. The pond, over the years, had been great for winter skating and fishing in summer.
1925 - The Sullivan-Clinton Memorial maker was dedicated at the entrance of Hemlock Lake Park. It was made partly of Mill stones and inlaid with Indian arrowheads. It was a beautiful reminder of the past. The Hon. James W. Wadsworth was the guest speaker. Vandals have caused destruction to the monument in past years.
1929 - The newly built present High School was completed and made ready for use.
1930 - This year marked the end of an era. For 75 years, the Scott family had been coming every summer to their cottage and property on the west side of Hemlock Lake. They were, at last, forced to sell their property to the City of Rochester, which consisted of 175 acres of side hill land. Some of the land had been converted to grape vineyards several years earlier. There was also 1 1/2 acres and 175 feet of lake frontage. According to the records they were paid $55,000.00 for the property they had enjoyed for so long. They were just about the last people to sell out. NOTE: Grapes from their vineyard were at one time picked, packed and sold from a small building by the side of the road near the foot of the lake.
1935 - At this time, there was a drug store in Hemlock. The druggist name was H. W. Thurston.
1937 - 1941 - A weekly paper was published here in Hemlock. It was called the "Hemlock Courier". It was published by Mr. William Fletcher at his home on Clay Street.
1941 - 1946 - There was no Hemlock Fair due to scarcity of gas and tires and the war effort of World War II.
1942 - The Hemlock Church Club was organized. The first meeting was held at the home of Lee and Mabel Coykendall on Main Street. The Club meets once a month and they have planned and promoted religious services as well as helping the two local churches financially. The club is still active.
1943 - This year the Hemlock High School boy's basketball team won the Class C Sectional championship.
1943 - A Service Man's plaque was dedicated. There were 34 names listed of men of the area. The stone plaque is located on the lawn of the High School and it is dated 1941-1945.
1944 - The Hemlock Baptist Church celebrated the 100th Anniversary of the erection of the church building. It was a two day affair held on August 5th and 6th.
1947 - At this time we mention "The Roadside Craftsmen". In a new building across the main road from the 1812 Country Store, the Iron Works were operating. Clarence Curtis of Lakeville, New York and his workmen were turning out useful and ornamental iron articles. Roadside Craftsmen, Inc. went on the establish unit in Avon and East Bloomfield.
1949 - Kidnapped and murdered, the 11 year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Reggie Lynn was walking to school from their home in Gullburg to Hemlock. She was picked up somewhere between there and town. Two days later, her body was found in a ravine south of Lima. She had been shot to death. Her killer has never been found.
1950 - "ECHO ROCK" - It was about this time that Arch Merrill tried to locate the ROCK on the west shore of Hemlock Lake. Echo Rock once was a noted landmark on Hemlock's shores. The ancient boulder, a child of the glacial age, was venerated by the superstitious Indians who knew nothing of the principle of sound waves, and believed the answering voices at Echo Rock were those of kindred in the Spirit Land, when in reality they were only echoes across the lake. When the City of Rochester raised the level of Hemlock Lake by building dikes to increase their water supply the rock disappeared under water.
1950 - At this time Frank Connor, Historian, was writing 24 installments of history for "The Livonia Gazette". Much of our material has come from these writings.
1958 - June 16th, Hemlock voted to centralize with Livonia school. Ted Henry, of Hemlock, was elected to the School Board.
1961 - Mark Wemett purchased the Hemlock hardware store from Hugh Drain. The store was destroyed by fire in 1977.
1965 - "Livingston Leasing" was established by Mark Wemett for making and selling ice cubes.
1972 - The new fire house was completed on Al Sharpe Avenue (Old Railroad Street). It replaced the old one on N. Main St. which had, for a long time, been too small.
1976 - The Bicentennial of '76 was celebrated along with the Village of Livonia, where there was a parade and other activities. Hemlock had a special program at the firehouse on May 8, 1976.
1977 - The Metropolitan Hotel burned to the ground. It had first opened for business in 1850. The hardware store, to the north burned at the same time.
1982 - Dick and Donna Jopson bought the old Shell Station at the intersection of 15A and 20A and remodeled it into a grocery store, service station and an upstairs apartment. In 1985, Doug and Bonnie Rumfelt bought the business from the Jopson's and continue to run it as a convenient store and gas station for the hamlet.
1984 - Mr. Jack Evans, former resident and student of Hemlock, now owner of Velmex, Inc., East Bloomfield, N.Y. purchased the school building. Jim Sutton uses some rooms for his youth work. There has been some manufacturing there in recent years.
1984 - The Hemlock Methodist Church celebrated their bicentennial with a special program at the church April 29th.
1985 - A few acres of the old canning factory property were purchased by the Hemlock Firemen and leveled off for a park. A pavilion has been built and a nice playground. It is a good place for family picnics.
1985 - The 1812 Country Store (a landmark on the corner of Big Tree and Rt. 15A) was sold to the Rapelje family. The store had been operated by Ruth Woodruff since 1951.
1989 - This year celebrates the 160th Anniversary of the Hemlock Post Office and the 25th year of service by our present Postmaster, Shirley Marshall.
OLD TIME BUSINESSES - LONG GONE
Burch & Powell - Coal
DOCTORS OF HIMLOCK FROM ABOUT 1920
Dr. Mills Dr. Grigham
Dr. Trott, while he was practicing here either owned or leased several acres of land north of the village where he established an airport. "Honky" Reese was a pilot for a time. Records show there were flying lessons taught and that at one time there was an airplane race from Hemlock to Cleveland, Ohio.
Dr. Hamilton occupied a house that was made over from the old school building at the top of North Main Street and it is still a private home.
Mrs. Mae Short Woodworth tells us that her first husband, the late Nathan Short, who had built their home on East Avenue in Livonia, N.Y. had passed away December 2, 1966. Nathan was the last living male member of the Short family who had come to Hemlock as the first settler (Philip Short). "Nate" was a first class carpenter and he worked around the Hemlock and Livonia areas for most of his life. He always had the interest of the community at heart. He was 70 years of age when he passed away.
Ada Jennings Wemett, wife of Clarence Wemett of Hemlock, died at her home there at 6 o'clock Sunday morning, of pneumonia. She was taken sick the preceding Monday, and failed to respond to the medical treatment which was unsparingly given her. Funeral services were held at the Hemlock Methodist church Tuesday afternoon. Burial was in Union cemetery, Livonia.
Mrs. Wemett was born forty-seven years ago in Naples, the daughter of Nelson and Arvilla Bower Jennings. There she lived with her family until 1910, when she married Clarence E. Wemett and moved to Hemlock, where her husband was in business. Five children were born, all of whom survive; Mrs. Fred Kenzie of Prattsburg; Norris, a medical student at the University of Western Ontario, London, Canada; Bruce a senior in hemlock high school; and the 8 year old twins, Mark and Mary.
Surviving also are Mrs. Wemett's husband; her father; two sisters, Mrs. W. J. Brown of Geneseo and Miss Anna Jennings of hemlock; one brother, James of Naples, and two grandchildren.
Mrs Wemett was a member of the Hemlock Methodist church, of the Rebekahs, of the W.C.T.U., and very active in these organizations as well as in every movement or enterprise whose meritt commended itself to her. She gave freely of her interest, counsel and ability in every good work, in addition to devoting herself unsparingly to the welfare and happiness of her family.
The suddeness of Mrs. Wemett's illness and death, the season of the year and many other factors combine to make her passing one of extreme sadness.
Marriage Notes for CLARENCE WEMETT and ANNA JENNINGS:
Miss Anna E. Jennings and Mr. Clarence E. Wemett of Hemlock were united in marriage at 4 o'clock Wednesday afternoon, Oct. 14, at the home of the bride's sister, Mrs. W. J. Brown, in Geneseo by the Rev. W. J. Brown in the presence of eighteen friends and relatives. The Methodist Episcopal ring service was used. The bride was gowned in eggplant velvet with a corsage of yellow roses. The couple was unattended.
Following the ceremony a wedding luncheon was served. The bride's table and house decorations carried out the color scheme of yellow and white in both candles and cut flowers.
After a week's trip though the east, Mr. and Mrs. Wemett will be at home in Hemlock.
Notes for RUTH ARVILLA WEMETT:
Dr. B. L. R. Kelly, a classmate of Dr. Kenzie
at the University of Western Ontario London, Canada, was best man, while Miss
Lorna Wearing of Rochester, a classmae of the bride at Keuka college, was
the bridesmaid. Mary and Mark Wemett, the 3 1/2 year old twins of Mr. and
Mrs. Clarence Wemett, carried baskets of flowers. Miss Marion Black of Livonia,
also a schoolmate of the bride, played the wedding march, and the uncle of
the bride, the Rev. W. J. Brown, pastor of the Spencer Methodist Church of
Hornell, performed the marriage by her father.
Ruth W. Woodruff wasn't one to sit idly around the house. For 25 years, she ran the 1812 Country Store on Route 15A just north of Hemlock. In December 1984, she sold the store and headed for Florida, where she spent most winters.
Last Wednesday, Mrs. Woodruff died in St. Petersburg, Fla. She was 79 years old.
"She was a different kind of person, an individualist," Peggy Wemett, her sister-in-law, said yesterday. "She loved arts and crafts."
When it opened in 1959, her 1812 Country Store was one of the first of its kind, selling gifts, candles and spices, among other items, Mrs. Wemett said.
One of the store's best-selling products was the sharp country store cheese, selling 4,000 pounds a season. Besides selling it, Mrs. Woodruff knew how to use it in her kitchen: she was famous for her macaroni and cheese, as Mrs. Wemett recalled.
Not only did she cook well, Mrs. Woodruff also enjoyed weaving, painting and collecting. Mrs. Wemett said her sister-in-law spent years roaming craft shows and garage sales to collect five sets of picture postcards to give to her five grandchildren.
During the summer, Mrs. Woodruff used to come back to Canandaigua to spend time in her Holiday harbour Condominium.
Now and then, she would visit her former store and chat with the new owners, Judy and Harry Rapelje.
"When I bought the store she helped me a lot...to learn the ropes," Said Mrs. Rapelje, who was new in the retail business. "She wanted the store to continue. It meant a lot to her."
But Mrs. Woodruff obviously enjoyed retirement in sunny Florida. Sooner or later, she would always get itchy to return to Florida, where she had organized a neighborhood recycling program from her garage. Community residents would bring their recyclable materials to Mrs. Woodruff, according to Mrs. Wemett.
"She knew how to encourage others not to sit and become stagnant," Mrs. Wemett said. "She wasn't going to let that happen to her - and others either."
At the age of 77, Mrs. Woodruff got herself a job at an art supplies store.
"The reason why they hired me was because I could count one, two, three, and knew my ABC's," Mrs. Woodruff would joke, according to her sister-in-law.
As Mrs. Wemett put it, "idleness was not one of her traits."
Ruth Wemett Woodruff, 79 of St. Petersburg, Fla.,
formerly of Hemlock, died suddenly April 4, 1990 at her home. She was born
in Hemlock Jan. 22, 1911, the daughter of Clarence Wemett and Ada Jennings.
Prior to her retirement she owned and operated the 1812 Country Store in Hemlock
for 28 years. She retired in 1985.
To children it's the lure of the penny candy or a scoopful of marbles in a leather pouch; to city folks heading south to view the autumn foliage, it's a pleasant stop along the way; to grandparents, it's the perfect place to buy stocking stuffers from an era gone by; and to everyone in this area, it's a landmark - The 1812 Country Store.
The store, located on Rt. 15A, just a tad north of Hemlock closed for the season right after Christmas and will reopen in May. When it does reopen in the spring, it will have a new proprietor.
After over 25 years of owning and managing the business, Ruth Woodruff has sold her stately farm house, 25 acres of land, and The 1812 Country Store. Ruth is particularly pleased that the new owners, Judy and Harry Rapelje, will be living in the residence and continuing the tradition of the store.
No fake replica of the old general store, the 1812 Country Store, has a history worthy of its reputation. The original store building was the barn and animal sheds for the house built in 1812 on property which was part of the Phelps-Gorham Purchase.
During the 1930's the building housed one part of the well-known Roadside Craftsmen, Inc. The Craftsmen operation was started by Ruth's father, Clarence E. Wemett, who following a motor trip to Florida, was taken with the idea of roadside craftsmen and laid out a replica of a Southern primitive pottery along Rt. 5, near East Bloomfield Guy Daughterty became the resident potter, often joined by students from the State School of Ceramics at Alfred, one of whom married Ruth's brother, Norris. Later weaving and woodturning were added as crafts.
In 1931, Arthur Cole from East Aurora set up a second in the roadside craft operations -- the Avon Coppersmith.
Meanwhile, in Hemlock, Clarence Curtis became the skilled "smithy" turing out expertly crafted wrought iron pieces. From 1937 until 1942, he was joined by Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Manchester, artists and silversmiths of marked ability.
During this time, Ruth Wemett was growing up and pursuing her own talent for arts and crafts. A native of the area, Ruth married and had two sons.
Later in life, Ruth attended Columbia University getting a degree in Occupational Therapy and a masters in Guidance and Personnel. She married a second time and later returned to the Hemlock area, where she and her husband, C.H. Woodruff purchased the home on Rt. 15A from her father. The Roadside Craftsmen had disbanded as the older skilled craftsmen passed on.
In the Spring of 1959, the Woodruffs opened The 1812 Country Store which included handmade looms on which Ruth taught weaving. After her husband died six years ago, Ruth continued to operate the store.
Many of the old fixtures which add so much charm to the interior came from a store which had been owned by Miss Behnk in Rush. In fact, Miss Behnk, herself, made a number of visits to Hemlock to see the new home of her authentic old store fixtures.
Over the years, very little has changed in the interior of the store and people like it that way. Out-of-area visitors all have had their favorites including the sharp, pungent "rat" cheese for which the store is famous. One could sample the cheese with crackers, while admiring the coffee grinder which had come from the old Knapp's Store in Hemlock.
At holiday time, the store became a treasure house of unusual gifts which one could persue while listening to the music box sound of old recordings of Christmas music.
Ruth has always had an eye for what would appeal to her clientele. "You don't try and put crystal in a country store," she laughed. Handmade potholders, theorem paintings, catnip balls, old fashioned paper dolls, the variety and price range was endless.
The store also became noted as a haven for "miniature" collectors. One could furnish an entire dollhouse right down to paintings on the wall and doilies on the tiny tables in one afternoon's visit.
Judy Rapelje hopes to retain the same nostalgic flavor that has become associated with the store over the years. Judy is a craftsman, herself, working in the medias of basketweaving and stained glass. She has done a good deal of volunteer work with the YWCA, 4-H and Girl Scouts and also operated the "Treasures from the Heart" home sale for over two years.
The Rapelje's, who lived in Hilton for 17 years, have already moved into the red farmhouse at the corner of Rt. 15A and Big Tree Rd., along with their two children, Kurt and Karen.
Harry Rapelje is in the Corporate Relations Department at Eastman Kodak. Sixteen-year-old Kurt plays trumpet in the school band and will be an asset to Livonia's math and computer teams--with computers being his specialty. Thirteen-year-old Karen plays the saxophone and piano and will enjoy the view out her window of the many horses residing at Graywood Farms, as she is an avid horse lover.
Judy first learned of the Ruth's desire to sell the store through her parents, Vic and Marion Anderson, who have a summer residence of Gulick Rd. in Honeoye.
Said Judy of the new venture, "It's really making a dream a reality and I plan to work hard, having had some good training for Mrs. 'W,' to make the 1812 Country Store a continuing success.
Meanwhile, Ruth will be heading to Florida as has been her custom for a number of years. However, she hopes to return in the late spring and perhaps have a summer residence enabling her to visit family and friends in the area.
She has brothers, Mark, in Hemlock and Norris in East Bloomfield, and a sister Mary, in Canandaigua. Her two sons also live in the north. Ross Kenzie is Chairman of the Board of Goldome Bank and lives with his wife, Langley and two daughters in Derby, (NY); and Allan Kenzie is resident Senior Vice-President of the Baltimore Five-Office Complex of Merrill, Lynch, and resides in Ruxton, Md., with his wife, Bette, and three children.
Even as Ruth sat at her cluttered desk overlooking the winter scene in her backyard, a gentleman, seeing cars parked, stopped to see if the store was open. Stepping over boxes of inventoried items, Ruth told him that the store was closed for the season. "Oh, see you in the spring, then," he said. Ruth waved and smiled without further explanation. She is confident that come spring, The 1812 Country Store, will once again open its doors to children wanting penny candy and oldsters wanting to just reminisce a little.
Hemlock, NY Red house across from the Iron Shop
Telephone - Elwood 9-2802
November 20, 1963
Notes for JOSEPH FREDERICK KENZIE:
Sarah Bertha attended his Medical School Graduation in a wheelchair from the Hospital (1929).
He was a 60-yr alumnus of the Univ. of Western Ontario Medical School, London, Canada. He came to Steuben County in 1930 and was a medical doctor in Prattsburg for 10 yrs. Practiced briefly in Avoca NY after divorce and remarriage.
He Moved to Bath in 1942 and became a staff member of the Bath Memorial Hospital also known as the IRA Davenport Memorial Hospital. During these years he was affiliated with the New York State and Steuben County Medical Associations.
He was a medical examiner for the draft board during World War II, chairman of the Public Health Commission in Steuben County for several years, medical director for the Steuben County Infirmary and jail physician for several years. He served as health officer for many of the neighboring communities.
He was a post master and more than 50 years member of the Prattsburg Masonic Lodge, and a 33rd-degree member of the Scottish Rite in Corning.
When Edith Roxey Kenzie was asked (in 1994) why her brother went to medical school, she replied that he had been close to a family doctor who was a Doctor Blain. She also remembered her brother sewing up a pigeon that had been hurt when he was young.
Newspaper clipping from Nov. 7, 1954 entitled
"New Officers Take Over"
Steuben County Medical Society Thursday night elected officers at a meeting in Hotel Wagner in Bath, they are Dr. Charles A. Rose of Hornell, New President; Dr. F. J. Kenzie of Bath, retiring president; Dr. Henry E Elwood Jr., of Corning, vice president, and Dr. Milton Tully of Hornell, reelected secretary-treasurer.
DR. J. FREDERICK KENZIE'S OBITUARY as it appeared in The Steuben Courier-Advocate, Bath, NY Nov. 7, 1989
Zephyrhills, Fla. --- Dr. J. Frederick Kenzie, 84, formerly of Hammondsport, died Saturday, Nov. 4, 1989 in Zephyrhills. He was born June 1, 1905 in Forest, Ontario, Canada, to Leslie and Bertha Hall Kenzie.
He was a 60-year alumnus of the University of Western Ontario Medical School, London, Canada. He came to Steuben County in 1930 and was a medical doctor in Prattsburg for 10 years.
He moved to Bath in 1942 and became a staff member of the Bath Memorial Hospital and the Ira Davenport Memorial Hospital. During these years he was affiliated with the New York State and Steuben County medical association.
He was a medical examiner for the draft board during World War II, chairman of the Public Health Commission in Steuben County for several years, medical director for the Steuben County Infirmary and jail physician for several years. He served as health officer for many of the neighboring communities.
He was a pastmaster and more than 50-year member of the Prattsburg Masonic Lodge, and a 33rd-degree member of the Scottigh Rite in Corning.
Surviving are: his wire, Dora Hughes Kenzie; two sons, Ross of Buffalo, Alan of Ruxton, MD.; two daughters, Linda Mahley of Lafayette, Calif., Joyce North of Richwood, NJ; one stepson John Sebring of Hammondsport; two stepdaughters, Lenette Lowell of St. Albans, Vt., Deborah Cleveland of Honeove Falls; two brothers, Laverne Kenzie of Ontario, Canada, Franklyn Kenzie of Winter Haven, Fla.; seven grandchildren, one great-grandchild.
Burial will be in Prattsburg (NY) Rural Cemetery.
This artical is in the Occidentalia, dedications to the Graduates of the Class of 1929 of the University of Western Ontario. This is apparently the yearbook. J. F. Kenzie was the Secretary of the graduating class. He received the J. B. Camp Bell award in medicine at graduation and the award physiology.
A quote under the picture of J. Frederick Kenzie, "He that climbs the tall tree has a right to the fruit."
On June 1st, 1905, the sun rose at Forest, Ontario, to shine upon a brand new boy, who in virtue of his intellectual integrity and outstanding ability was later chosen a disciple of Aesculapius.
After obtaining his rural education, Fred began High School in Forest, completed his honour matriculation at Watford, Ont., and came to Western in 1923 to join Med's '29.
He has proven a worthy member and a valued friend to all; and, judging from his efficiency in winning hearts, we expect him to specialize in Electrocardiography.
He spent last summer assisting Dr. Trott in his practice at Hemlock, N.Y., and next year will find Fred there a budding young practitioner. We know that wherever his shingle hangs a multitude will find their way, and hope that the future before him will be bright and prosperous.
Marriage Notes for RUTH WEMETT and JOSEPH KENZIE:
Ceremony at Bride's Home in Hemlock Last Saturday.
In the presence of about fifty guests, Miss Ruth Arvilla Wemett, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence E. Wemett of Hemlock, was married Saturday noon to Dr. Joseph Frederick Kenzie at the bride's residence.
Dr. B. L. R. Kelly, a classmate of Dr. Kenzie at the University of Western Ontario, London, Canada, was best man, while Miss Lorna Wearing of Rochester, a classmate of the bride at Keuka college, was the bridesmaid. Mary and Mark Wemett, the 3 1/2 year-old twins of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Wemett, carried baskets of flowers. Miss Marion Black of Livonia, also a schoolmate of the bride, played the wedding march, and an uncle of the bride, the Rev. W. J. Brown, pastor of the Spencer Methodist church of Hornell, performed the marriege by her father.
The bride was gowned in white georgette. She wore a veil and carried a shower bouquet of roses and lilied of the valley. The bridesmaid wore yellow taffeta and carried a corsage of lavender sweet peas and roses.
The bride is a graduate of the Genesee Wesleyan seminary at Lima, class of 1928, and for the last two years has been a student at Keuka college. The groom is a graduate of the University of Western Ontario at London, Canada, and for the last two years has been associated with Dr. H. W. Trott in Hemlock.
Guests at the wedding included Mr. and Mrs. M. L. Kenzie, parents of the groom, and Miss Edith and Mr. Franklin Kenzie, sister and brother of groom, all of London, Ontario; Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Kamins of Dunnville, Canada; Mr. and Mrs. F. B. Orvis of Rahway, NJ; the Rev. and Mrs. W. J. Brown and Ralph Brown of Hornell; Mr. and Mrs. Correll Wemett and family of Lima; Mr. and Mrs. James Jennings and daughter, Helen, of Naples, and the following Keuka college schoolmates of the bride: Miss Lorna Wearing of Rochester, Miss Dorathy Chesbro of Fulton, Miss Margaret Squier of Auburn, Miss Vineland, NJ, Miss Dorathea Tomlison of East Aurora, and Miss Marion Black of Livonia.
The color scheme was yellow and white and the house was decorated with spring flowers of these colors. A wedding dinner was served following the ceremony.
A pre-nuptial event was a dinner given by Dr. and Mrs. H. W. Trott on the Thursday evening preceding the wedding.
Dr. and Mrs. Kenzie will be at home in Lyons,
NY after the 15th of May, Followinga short wedding trip.
Notes for CHAMBERLAIN HOYT WOODRUFF:
ii. NORRIS GEORGE WEMETT, b. 10 Aug 1912, Hemlock NY; d. 17 Sep 1997, Canandaigua, NY; m. DORIS ELAINE MARLEY, 01 Oct 1935, Hornell NY; b. 27 Aug 1911, Hornell NY; d. 05 Nov 1988, East Bloomfield, Ontario Co., NY.
Notes for NORRIS GEORGE WEMETT:
Graduated from what is known as Lima Seminary
in 1929-(Actual name was Genesee Weslyian Seminary) at that time sort of an
Advanced High School
Wemett, Norris G.
Friends may call Friday 7-9 PM at Fuller Funeral Home, 200 Buffalo St., Canandaigua. A Funeral Service will be held Saturday at 10 AM at St. Johns's Episcopal church, 183 North Main St., Canandaigua. Memorial contributions in lieu of flowers may be made to the Academy Museum Restoration Fund, East Bloomfield, NY or a charity of the donor's choice.
Notes for DORIS ELAINE MARLEY:
A native of Hornell, Mrs. Wemett was a graduate of Hornell High School and a 1933 graduate of Alfred University.
She was a life member of the Order of Eastern Star in Hornell, a member of St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Holcomb and the Ontario County and East Bloomfield Historical Societies.
Surviving are her husband of 53 years, Norris; five daughters, Lynn Nichols of Essex, N.Y., Laurel and Michele Wemett, both of Canadaigua, Lisa Wemett of Macedon and Yvonne Small of Lantana, Fla.; a sister, Ruth Roth of Covington, Ky.; four grandchildren; and a niece and a nephew.
There will be no prior calling hours. Services will be private with burial in East Bloomfield Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers contributions may be made to the charity of the donor's choice.
Arrangements were made by the John W. Carney (Kennedy and Son) Funeral Home, 2 South Ave.
Notes for BRUCE CLAYTON WEMETT:
Graduated Hemlock High School, Hemlock NY June
Worked in the family business, C. E. Wemett & Co (see Clarence Elmer Wemett). (Later name changed to the Wemett Corporation, Homlock, NY) This business was a petroleum distributor of the Shell Oil Brand in Livingston, Ontario, Wyoming, Steuben Counties South of Rochester, NY.
Introduced to Jean Carman Baker at Christmas time 1938 by cousin Roy Arnold Wemett who also worked at Sibley's Department Store in Rochester. Had first date New Year's Eve 1938. Married in Rochester 7/12/1941.
Served in the US Army from November 1942 to February 1946.
Left Wemett Corp in July 1971, moved to Myrtle Beach SC and founded a Retail business selling records, tapes and cassettes. Liquidated this business in August 1983 and officially retired at home at 7601 Brentwood Drive, Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Parents: Ewell D. Baker and Gertrude May Lehman
Homes: Lake Road, Webster NY
Employed Sibley's Department Store 1938 until
married in 1941
Married: Bruce C. Wemett - 7/12/1941 at Eastside Presbyterian Church, Rochester, NY
Homes: Hemlock, NY 1941-1942
Marriage Notes for BRUCE WEMETT and JEAN BAKER:
iv. MARY FRANCES WEMETT, b. 31 Oct 1926, Hemlock NY - twin of Mark; d. 12 Dec 1998, Canandagua, NY buried Livonia Cemetery.
Notes for MARY FRANCES WEMETT:
1940 - 44 Hemlock High School, Hemlock, NY Regents Diploma
1944 - 48 Grove City College, Grove City, PA B.S. Major in Biology
1954 - 57 University of Rochester, Rochester,
NY Diploma in Nursing
1959 - 60 University of Rochester, Rochester,
NY M.S. in Nursing
1973 - 74 University of Rochester, Rochester,
University of Rochester Coordinator, Family Health
University of Rochester Interim Associate Dean
for Fall 1978
University of Rochester Associate Professor of
University of Rochester Associate Professor of
University of Rochester Assistant Professor of
University of Rochester Instructor of Nursing 1959-1963
University of Rochester Assistant Instructor in
The American Association of University Professors
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS:
Dachelet, Christy, Wemett, Mary F., et al. "The
Critical Incident Technique Applied to the Evaluation of the Clinical Practicum
Hagopian, G. and Mary Wemett et al. "A Comparative Study of Two Methods of Teaching Physical Assessment Skills to Practicing Community Health Nurses." Publication pending.
Inauguration of the School of Nursing and Installation of Dean Loretta C. Ford, R.N., Ed. D., December 8-9, 1972. Participated in a presentation of LIVING WITH CHRONIC ILLNESS read during the Program.
Wemett, Mary. "Study of the Use of Films
as Self-Instructional Tools."
Pitel, Martha and Mary Wemett. "The Intramuscular Injection." AMERICAN JOURNAL NURSING, 64:4, 104-109, April 1964.
Monroe County Cancer and Leukemia Association: Outstanding Service ...1972.
Clair Dennison Award, 1958, University of Rochester, School of Nursing
Mary F. Wemett is Associate Professor of Nursing and Clinicaian II at the University of Rochester School of Nursing.
Miss Wemett earned a B.S. Degree in Biology in 1948 from Grove City College, Grove City, Pennsylvania. Earning both her Diploma in Nursing in 1957 and her M.S. in Nursing in 1961 from the University of Rochester, her involvement at the School of Nursing has been at the undergraduate and graduate levels as well as in continuing education. As a teacher and clinician, she has been actively involved in the development and testing of programs devised for self-instruction.
Having completed the Medical Nurse Practitioner Program at Rochester, Miss Wemett currently gives direction to the Family Health Nurse Program in the graduate program at the University of Rochester School of Nursing. Her interest at present is focused toward the care of the chronically ill and elderly.
WEMETT RETIRES FROM S.O.N.
Professor Mary F. Wemett, a member of the Department
and School of Nursing faculty for 27 years and chairman of the Primary Care
Program in Nursing from 1979 to 1984, retired July 1. A reception was held
in her honor Sept. 26 in Helen Wood Hall.
Democrat & Chronicle Death Notice
Friends may call Tues. from Noon to 2 and 7 to 9 at the John C. Johnson Funeral Home, Inc., 47 N. Main Street., Canandaigua. Services will be held Wed. at 11 AM at the Hemlock United Methodist Church, 4616 Main St., Hemlock, NY. Interment in Union Cemetery, Livonia at the convenience of the family. Memorial contributions to Sonnenberg gardens, Canandaigua, NY 14424 or the Hemlock United Methodist Church.
v. MARK JENNINGS WEMETT, b. 31 Oct 1926, Hemlock NY - twin of Mary; m. PEGGY PEELER, 19 Apr 1952, Nashville TN; b. 20 Oct 1925.
Notes for MARK JENNINGS WEMETT:
Prepared by Ross B Kenzie